Liberty, The Heritage Years Painted by muralist Eric J. Bransby, the mural located in the City Council Chambers in Liberty City Hall offers a timeline of significant events in Liberty's history,including the arrival of settlers at Liberty Landing in the 1820s and the first daytime robbery committed during peace time by the infamous Jesse James Gang in 1866. The mural was dedicated in 1983.
Justice Center Mural A series of ceramic murals that highlight scenes from the County's history adorns Clay County buildings along South Water Street. Artist: Matthew Monks
Tiles made by: Ron Tayllor
Image does not exist
Clay County Administration Building Murals Located on the third floor of the Clay County Administration Building, a 28-foot x 8-foot mural depicts Clay County history. The left side of the mural shows Mah-hos-kah "Chief White Cloud," an Ioway Indian, and fur trader Pierre Chouteau. The middle section depicts Henry Routt leading the 1861 rain on the Liberty Arsenal. The right side of the mural shows the James Farm in 1875. Painted by Liberty native David McLain in 1993.
Another 8-foot by 6-foot mural honors 19th and 20th century African-American pioneers, businesses, churches and schools that contribute to the founding of four Clay County cities with vital African American population: Liberty, Excelsior Springs, North Kansas City and Missouri City. The mural includes scenes connected to: White Oak Chapel and Cemetery from the 1836 Fountain Waller Plantation (in north Brighton area of Gladstone); First Baptist Church of Liberty (established in 1843); the first African American School in Missouri City (established in 1877) and Dr. Fred F. Ellet's Sulpho Saline Bath House and Swimming Pool (1880).
Lewis & Clark Murals David McCLain also painted a mural on the Clay County public safety building at the corner of Miil and Water streets. Commemorating the 200th anniversary of the Lewis & Clark expedition, the mural depicts the Corps of Discovery's landing just south of Liberty on the Missouri River.